Twitter

BlogAds

Recent Comments

Label Cloud

Pay no attention to the people behind the curtain

Powered By Blogger

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Mark Pocan recounts the "debate" on the Hate Amendment

Rick Esenberg tells me I shouldn't call it the Hate Amendment, but I do, and will continue to. Later I may explain why I call it that instead of the more cumbersome amendment to ban gay marriage, civil unions, and any "substantially similar" legal arrangement amendment.

I also put "debate" in quotation marks, since only two people seemed to speak in favor of the bill:
The only Republicans to debate the merits of the measure were the author, Rep. Mark Gundrum, and Rep. Eugene Hahn. Hahn’s debate centered on the need to follow the Bible – or as he stated, the B-I-B-L-E. He spelled it out as to not say the word aloud.

Gundrum, for his part, briefly answered a few questions about the bill, but finally let a little of the real conservative red meat on this issue out as he talked about his fear of multiple people getting married in the Netherlands. He also heard there were “polyamorists” in Wisconsin.
So there ya go. Read the rest, as it includes a nice moment courtesy of Milwaukee's Jon Richards, and some pretty scary stuff about John Gard.

No comments: