I'm not sure why, but Tom McBride, a professor of English from my alma mater, showed up in a dream of mine last night. It may or may not have been his way of telling me that his new Beloit College Mindest List is now out. Either way, it's time, again, to take a look at what the college's incoming class knows or doesn't know. Some of my favorities:
1. The Soviet Union has never existed and therefore is about as scary as the student union.Read the whole list, and then, as I plan to, whine for a little while in the comments about how old you are.
6. There has always been only one Germany.
11. A coffee has always taken longer to make than a milkshake.
19. "Google" has always been a verb. (This one is bittersweet, since I was at Beloit when Google launched!)
34. They have always known that "In the criminal justice system the people have been represented by two separate yet equally important groups."
51. Michael Moore has always been showing up uninvited.
74. Ringo Starr has always been clean and sober.
And, for kicks, check out McSweeny's Beloit College Mindset List, Class of 1918.