Twitter

BlogAds

Recent Comments

Label Cloud

Pay no attention to the people behind the curtain

Powered By Blogger

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Chicks!

By grumbleberries

Sure, parts of the world are in flames. The President is on vacation. The US Congress and the State Legislature are both in recess. Why shouldn't my thoughts wander to music and the first CD I ever purchased. It is after all Saturday!

Ok, I admit that I bought the first CD in my life for all the wrong reasons. I've always felt some type of kinship toward the underdog, so I was deeply moved by the hatred which erupted when the Dixie Chicks' criticized President Bush and the Iraq war. I simply had to purchase a Chick's CD.

The fact is, I'm not much of a music fan. I had never heard of Natalie Maines, but figured anything that her former fans were so vehemently against, I would automatically be emphatically for. At the very least, I would be supporting the Dixie Chicks right to free speech. I'm, after all, a little touchy on Bill of Rights issues.

As a small but meaningful act of defiance I even played "Taking the Long Way" with my car windows down and the found it to be GREAT. You can listen to "Not Ready to Make Nice" here.

Now I have a confession to make, I've always been attracted to spunky women. Mrs. grumbleberries has not lost anything in this department in the last thirty years, so I know one when I see one. The Dixie Chicks are the real thing. If you have not yet bought the CD, I hope you will consider it. There is nothing more American than dissent and nobody more American than the Dixie Chicks. I'm officially smitten!

No comments: