Twitter

BlogAds

Recent Comments

Label Cloud

Pay no attention to the people behind the curtain

Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Movie-related film-post diversion

by folkbum

JB (no relation--that I know of!) at The Chief offers a challenge:
"What's the Most Important Year in American Cinema in the Last 20 Years?"

I'm having an ongoing feud with a friend of over this issue, so I thought I'd throw it out there for public consumption...

Friend X says its 1993. [. . .] But I'm still leaning toward 1999.
Trouble is, I don't want to play that game. The last 20 years have been reasonable--and, hell, all I remember, really, except for an Indiana Jones or two. Let's make it longer. I submit 1971. Consider:
  • Harold and Maude, one of my favorites from my formative years--literally 20 years after its release, of course.
  • SciFi classics like The Andromeda Strain and A Clockwork Orange
  • Three words: Make. My. Day. Dirty Harry was 1971.
  • Diamonds are Forever, among the best Bond films.
  • The French Connection and The Last Picture Show.
  • The film version of Fiddler on the Roof.
  • Roman Polanski's dark Macbeth.
  • Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.
  • George Lucas's pre-Star Wars THX-1138.
Is it cheating to change the rules? Sure. But that's why I brought the party here.

So tell me where I'm wrong.

No comments: