Twitter

BlogAds

Recent Comments

Label Cloud

Pay no attention to the people behind the curtain

Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 11, 2005

Friday Random Ten (Annotated)

1. Open iTunes. 2. Set to Random. 3. Blog results.

1. "Message to My Friend" John Scofield and Pat Metheny from I Can See Your House From Here: This is the "acoustic" number from this generally excellent collaboration. It's a slow, jazzy blues, with John and Pat doubling up for the melody and alternating solos. I'm pretty sure this is the only record the two worked together on, though they made a great duo, and the, erm, synergy, I think they call it, is fantastic.

2. "Beautiful World" Ellis Paul from Sweet Mistakes: This album is a collection of B-sides, outtakes, and remixes. "Beautiful World" is a number Ellis sings a cappella to close the album. It's kind of a reminder that while things might be seeming to fall apart all around you, it's important to keep your sense of wonder and hold on to what's important. Some day I will tell you all my Ellis Paul stories, but I have too much work to do now . . .

3. "Where You Can Find Me" Darryl Purpose from Right Side of Zero: Not one of my favorite DP songs, but it is from an otherwise excellent album--"Right Side of Zero" was his debut, and it immediately established his credibility as a songwriter and guitarist. DP's got a very intriguing backstory, from his days as a professional blackjack player to the time he spent as a peace activist. That breadth of experience lends a very philosophical and wizened bent to even a simple love song. The chorus: "I don't know all the places I've been/ I've forgotten things I have done/ I can only imagine what I'll see/ But I know where I'll be: Where you can find me."

4. "Get Me to the Church on Time" Connie Evingson from I Have Dreamed: A sultry version of the Lerner and Loewe classic--it starts slow and quiet, building to a horn-filled conclusion--very different from what you might remember Sinatra doing. This CD was a gift from my in-laws, and I initially wasn't all that thrilled to get an album of standards by a singer I had never heard of. But Evingson has grown on me.

5. "Tilman Co." Dave Carter & Tracy Grammer from : The story of Dave Carter is one of the most depressing ever; it's further evidence that if there's a god, he/she/it certainly hates the world to have beautiful music. I mean, why would he/she/it take Dave at his prime and leave us with, say, the Rolling Stones who you know just need the billions from their new album. (I have real hostility about this sort of thing.) The song is from the last album before he passed, a record that, if you were looking for the best songwriting ever wouldn't be a bad place to start.

6. "I'll Be True to You" The Monkees from The Monkees: A Davey Jones love song. What else do you need to know?

7. "Tell Me Why" Common Faces from Real Life: My wife and I sometimes think we are cursed, since whenever we book a good band for something (in this case, our wedding) they break up shortly after. The Common Faces were probably Madison, WI's best acoustic group, with a jazzy, folky, funky groove thing going on. One of the best live shows I ever saw was the three-member core of the band--guitarist Asa Miura with husband-and-wife team Chris Wagoner and Mary Gaines (currently with the Moon Gypsies) on fiddle and bass--completely acoustic at the Cafe Carpe. Not even a vocal mic. The energy was unbelievable; the room was packed. That was a good night.

8. "Christmas Carol" The Nields from Love and China: This is a pretty sad song when you realize it's the Christmas after Nerissa's divorce from David . . .

9. "You Stay Here" Richard Shindell from Courier (Free Bonus CD): This EP came free with the purchase of Courier, Richard's live CD, when it first came out. It's got a few additional tracks, including this one. One thing he can do that I wish I could is really paint a picture without being too wordy. The simple repetitiveness of this song--with only a few words changing in each verse--belies the complex themes behind it. Sarah and I are lucky enough to have tickets this week to see RS with Tracy Grammer this Wednesday at the aforementioned Cafe Carpe. If it's not sold out, and you can spare a weeknight, I recommend it. (They're playing Tuesday, too.)

10. "Am I too Late" Old 97s from Satellite Rides: Old 97s may be the best alt-country band recording right now. This is from a couple of records ago; the drummer is the star of this song.

No comments: