Twitter

BlogAds

Recent Comments

Label Cloud

Pay no attention to the people behind the curtain

Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Dems take the State Senate. First on the agenda?

Yeah, yeah, I know I said I was going to bed. But this is the first election night in a long time that I'm enjoying. I have to savor this.

With the Senate going in at 19 Republicans to 14 Democrats, we needed three seats to win control. I believe we've got four, as I write this. UPDATE: We do have four. We won all four races, though Zien-Kreitlow was tight and will undoubtedly be recounted.

SD-05: Jim Sullivan has handily defeated incumbent loon Tom Reynolds. With 100% reporting, Sullivan has 36,144 votes (52%) to Reynolds's 33,691 (48%). There's no checkmark yet, but I can't imagine this won't get called for Jim.

SD-21: John Lehman spanked Bill McReynolds in a race for an open seat. With 100% in, it's Lehman 31,736 (53%) and McReynolds 28,069 (47%)

SD-23: This is the one I don't know yet. Pat Kreitlow is trying to unseat another incumbent loon, Dave Zien. With 81% Kreitlow's at 30,119 (51%) and Zien has just 29,063 (49%). Watch it here.

SD-31: Farmer Kathleen Vinehout is also out to beat an incumbent Republican, Ron Brown. WisPolitics.com has called this race, but other outlets haven't. I trust that the result will hold, though. With 90% reporting, Vinehout has 28,250 (51%) and Brown has 26,884 (49%). Watch it here.

If Kreitlow holds on, we'll have an 18-15 advantage--we'll have flipped that Senate right around.

Now the question is, with a D Senate and a D Gov, we can set the agenda. What's first? Campaign finance reform? Re-doing the school funding formula? Civil unions, as I jokingly mentioned below? Gimme your suggestions in the comments. I know many of the powers-that-be check in on this blog, so they'll be interested in your ideas, too.

No comments: