Twitter

BlogAds

Recent Comments

Label Cloud

Pay no attention to the people behind the curtain

Powered By Blogger

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Founder's Day Wrap-Up Preview

As I promised a couple of days ago, I went to the Democratic Party of Wisconsin's Founder's Day (née Jefferson-Jackson) Dinner tonight. The thing was sold out, as you can see by the full house there on the right. I got a chance to meet a bunch of people and, of course, to hear a variety of speakers, starting with Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett, then Congresswomen Tammy Baldwin and Gwen Moore, Senators Feingold and Kohl, Governor Jim Doyle, and the keynote speaker, former Virginia Governor Mark Warner.

I attended on the dime of Warner's Forward Together PAC, and, in short, I like him; he had a lot of good things to say. As I get my full write-up finished (which is whenever I finish deciphering my notes), I'll talk more specifically about what all he said. But there are couple things I want to point out now.

First of all, the good kids over at Campus Tavern live-blogged the event, taking careful notes on what all the speakers said. The top is the end of the night, so scroll down a ways and read up. They did a really nice job and I certainly will use their notes to supplement my own.

Second, while it was great to meet a whole lot of our state's elected Democratic officials, it was too bad that most of them got no mention at all--as is, apparently, tradition--from the podium. DPW chair Joe Wineke mentioned a few elected Dems in the leadership (and both candidates in the Attorney General primary) but not any of the others. That's really too bad. The DPW had knew who RSVP'd and paid their money (yes, even our elected Ds have to pay to get in); the least Wineke could have done was acknowledge all the hard work they did, particularly those in the Assembly and Senate.

Anyway, that's what you get tonight. More in the morning, I promise.

No comments: