Twitter

BlogAds

Recent Comments

Label Cloud

Pay no attention to the people behind the curtain

Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, February 04, 2004


More Milwaukee Mayoral Musings

Another Reason I can't vote for David Clarke:
With Clarke saying, "I think there's a big difference between Tom Barrett and I on taxes," the ad opens with the words "Clarke vs. Barrett" on a dark screen.
Aside from the asininity--of which Barrett is equally guilty--of implying that this is a two-man race (there are eight other candidates besides those two, including my horse in the race, Leon Todd, whose website really, really sucks), this is a glaring example of one of my biggest grammar pet peeves.

The objective case of the first person pronoun is me. The preposition between needs to be followed by the objective case, and when Clarke uses I in that sense, he is using the subjective rather than the objective case.

Now some of you may call this picking nits, and just another case of my going all English Teacher on someone undeservedly. But this is further evidence that Clarke really isn't ready for prime time: He should at least have someone on staff who knows better and can stop this sort of thing before they spend thousands of dollars to air it. But, given that he seems not to have people on staff who can collect signatures properly, that may be too much to ask.

To be fair, Clarke does have the nicest logo of the ten candidates, though.

No comments: