Twitter

BlogAds

Recent Comments

Label Cloud

Pay no attention to the people behind the curtain

Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Scott Walker = Tom DeLay?

Hey, can't we at least ask the question?

So Scott Walker has this problem about using County time, money, and resources to promote himself--something that would come in very handy for anyone running for Governor. For example:
Supervisors John Weishan, Gerry Broderick, Dan Devine and Peggy West asked Walker in a letter last week to justify the use of his office to promote a position on the [pension] referendum. [. . .] Their letter also questions the legality of Walker's past use of campaign funds in a separate instance, to pay for automated phone calls to the public to garner support for his budget. Walker responded that a State Elections Board attorney's opinion supported that use.

On the pension referendum, Walker sent an e-mail using county letterhead to the Greater Milwaukee Committee, various chambers of commerce, health-care trade organizations and other groups.
I remember getting that phone call (though I guess I'm not good enough to get on Scott's email list), and at the time I was quite amazed at the audacity of it. I didn't call in to complain--I was in a bit of a post-election funk--but apparently dozens of people did.

But Scott shouldn't worry (from the first link):
"Election Commission Chairman Doug Haag, a Walker appointee, immediately pronounced his preliminary opinion that Walker had violated nothing. Haag said he had not read Walker's written request and was unfamiliar with the facts but felt that there likely was no problem. The dispute might not even have to come to the full commission, he said. Haag [is] a Republican Party leader in the county and active Walker supporter."
Remember what I quoted to you yesterday about Tom DeLay and the House ethics committee? "The difference between us and Mr. DeLay is, I think, we changed our behavior. Mr. DeLay changed the ethics committee." When you appoint a sycophant to the post of watchdog, you can bet he'll never bark at you.

Now, to be clear, I am not a lawyer and I am hopped up on cold medicine; for all I know, Scott Walker didn't actually do anything illegal. But there are ways to clear your name besides having a toady proclaim your innocence without even the barest investigation. I would hate to think what a Walker administration would do to cover its ethical tracks, given his tendency to walk a fine ethical line and his problems with the truth.

--

By the way, since I've been referring to the incumbent governor as J-Dizzle, I feel I need nicknames for Walker and Green. Wizzle and Grizzle really won't cut it. Consider this a contest: Winner gets, oh, I don't know, sincere appreciation.

No comments: