Twitter

BlogAds

Recent Comments

Label Cloud

Pay no attention to the people behind the curtain

Powered By Blogger

Sunday, June 08, 2003

Second Banana

I wanted this blog to cover more than just politics; not that I wanted it to turn into some sort of diary/ journal/ soul-baring exercise, but I have a variety of things going on in my life and I'd like to spread the joy of the blog around a little bit. Trouble is, too much of my waking life right now is in this election, which, while months and months away, is seeming more and more critical to work on now.

This weekend for example, I spent a lot of time "tabling for Dean" at Milwaukee PrideFest, to great response. But that means I'm not doing other things--notably, writing songs or packing the apartment for the big move (we close on Wednesday!). Then next weekend is the Democrats' state convention (and a lot of painting at the new house). The weekend after that is the big move itself. And so on. Plus, now I have to find time to write this crazy thing.

I will do something quick on a subject that pops up a lot on lefty blogs: vice-presidential candidates. Sure, we're all focused on the big prize, but what about second banana?

I talked to a guy at PrideFest today who claimed to have been a major player in the Democratic party in the past, and has met and worked for every Democratic candidate from JFK to the present. He spoke at length about how Howard Dean would make a good vice president behind, of all people, Edwards. Now, I don't know this guy from Adam, and he could have been anybody, but it really got me wondering about whether anyone would want Dean as their VP choice. And then I read about the symbiotic kind of thing that may be developing between Graham and Dean, and I also read that HRC is for certain out of the running for 2004 and even 2008 (don't hold your breath on 2008). So who would play second chair well?

Before I begin, I need to reiterate what I've said repeatedly elsewhere: It is imperative that Democrats not undermine what little advantage we have with the current margins in the senate. Already, depending on who the presidential nominee is, we could lose a senator (the senators running, except Edwards, are from states with Republican governors). Many other names bandied about for VP--like Mary Landrieu, HRC, Evan Bayh--are in the same boat. I do not want to lose any seats in the senate, and I really hope the Dems pay attention to that sentiment come Boston.

I'll start with our current nine, in alpha order, followed by other top contenders (in my opinion):

  • Dean: Pros: An attack dog. Will do what Lieberman could/ would not in 2000. Cons: Is used to being in charge and will not take orders well. My call: Will probably not be asked, would not accept if he were.
  • Edwards: Pros: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, and also a southern angle. Cons: A certain lack of experience. My call: Actually could work--he seems to be on his way to losing his senate seat anyway, and the VP job is a great way to build the kind of reputation he's currently lacking as a relative newcomer. Might well be asked.
  • Gephardt: Pros: Knows everybody in the federal government and would add the weight of some experience to the ticket. Cons: Has not delivered the house for Democrats and therefore may be seen as a liability. My call: Will not be asked.
  • Graham: Pros: Statehouse and senate experience, plus a moderate--and southern--voice. Cons: Age and health--he might not want to run again in 2012 when the top banana's term is up. My call: Is a favorite of everyone, and will almost certainly get the nod.
  • Kerry: Pros: Legislative experience and a war-hero record. Cons: Is running lackluster now, when the presidency is on the line. My call: Maybe.
  • Kucinich: Pros: Liberal/ progressive/ Green street cred. Cons: He yells too much, and will not deliver Ohio the way Graham might Florida. My call: Will not be asked.
  • Lieberman Pros: Has already held the job of vice-presidential candidate. Cons: Has already held the job of vice-presidential candidate. My call: Will not be asked.
  • Mosley-Braun: Pros: A great speaker and foreign policy experience, plus a chance at mobilizing minority voters better on election day. Cons: Scandals and her getting voted out of the senate. My call: Will not be asked.
  • Sharpton: Pros: He's funny. Cons: So nobody takes him seriously. My call: Will not be asked.
  • Wesley Clark: Pros: Southern, military, Rhodes Scholar, TV visibility. Cons: A political unknown--he's never run for, let alone held, an elected office. My call: If the nominee is Kerry, then no; if it's anyone else, the military thing may make it likely.
  • Mary Landrieu Pros: Kicked the Rove Machine's ass in 2002, plus she may help win back the soccer mom vote from those who thought the Whopper looked hot in a flight suit. Cons: Voted for the last tax cut (caveat: she though she was voting for a provision that was later cut by the White House); plus the spector of Geraldine Ferrarro. My call: Will probably not be asked.
  • Bill Richardson: Pros: Popular governor (New Mexico), plus may bring back a lot of people who liked Clinton but did not like Gore. Cons: Opens up the ticket to all the critiques of the Clinton years again, even though Richardson was always clean. My call: A strong maybe.
  • Robert Reich: Pros: Oversaw the Clinton economic boom, and would be a good attack dog. Cons: See above, plus I think he likes the private sector too much. My call: Won't be considered seriously, which is too bad.
  • Evan Bayh: Pros: He's perfectly DLC. Cons: He's perfectly DLC. My call: Will not be asked; I don't think he can deliver the midwest, certainly not any better than Gephardt, and no one but a DLCer like Edwards or Lieberman would consider him seriously, and then there would be no balance on the ticket.


  • There are a small handful of other names being thrown around that I just can't take seriously, including Hillary Rodham Clinton, Diane Feinstein, Gray Davis, Russ Feingold, and even John McCain. Of those, I want Hillary to stay and become a leader in the senate; Feinstein is too polarizing; Davis is just a politically weak man; my guy Feingold should wait until 2008 (or 2012 if we win in 2004, which, of course we will, what am I saying?); and McCain is still a Republican, sheesh.

    Feedback, please. And pass it around!

    No comments: