Twitter

BlogAds

Recent Comments

Label Cloud

Pay no attention to the people behind the curtain

Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

What I did on my Summer Vacation

by folkbum

Just kidding, of course; I haven't had a summer off since I was 15.

But I did spend five weeks again this summer with Marquette University's Upward Bound, teaching students from the class of 2008 and advising students on a separate poetry project. It's far more rewarding--and a lot more work--than summer school, and I hope to keep doing it as long as I'm able.

I post this now because yesterday the Journal Sentinel posted video shot of the program this summer. I'm not in the video (the videographer only spent time with two of the groups of kids), but you can start to get a feel for the kinds of things the program offers.

The Poem of the Week, on the other hand, is one part of what I did. You can see my glaring typo at that introductory page, and read some excellent student poems, as well, deeper into the "magazine," as they're calling this collection. For more information on the program, check here.

No comments: