Twitter

BlogAds

Recent Comments

Label Cloud

Pay no attention to the people behind the curtain

Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, March 15, 2005


More on NCLB Underfunding

Chris Correa does the research so I don't have to. If remember a few days back, I noted that Bush's proposed NCLB budget drops in real dollars Wisconsin's share by $2 million; I noted that it meant 2000 teachers could lose jobs. Chris gives us the per-pupil cost, not of the real-dollar cuts, but of the total undefrunding per state.

Wisconsin is underfunded by about $164 million. That translates to what looks like a paltry $169.03.

But let me put that in perspective: My district has about 100,000 students. Really. In other words, NCLB underfunding costs my district alone $17 million. The last several years we've been closing schools and laying off hundreds of teachers because we've been running deficits in the $15-$20 million deficits. How many kids are missing out on their music or phy ed because we're giving up Title I money to NCLB requirements?

(Hat tip: shari, again.)

No comments: